Resolution Games, the leading VR games studio behind titles like Blaston and the 2021 VR Game of the Year Demeo, launched its multiplayer futuresport game Ultimechs today (trailer here). Available as a free download with no limits on play on Pico headsets, Meta Quest 2 and SteamVR, Ultimechs blends competitive and cooperative play in a new team-based experience that could only exist in VR.
“Just like the highly-engineered machines that players will pilot in-game, Ultimechs took years of fine-tuning and ingenuity to bring to life,” said Tommy Palm, founder and CEO of Resolution Games. “In Ultimechs, we've created a new sport from the ground-up. It's familiar — in the same way football, basketball and hockey all share common elements — yet plays unlike anything else you've stepped into before.”
In this ultra-fast-paced VR game, Ultimechs' players remotely pilot high-performance mechs that compete in a futuristic arena to square off in 2v2 or 1v1 action. Opposing teams zoom, block, punch and score their way to victory by getting the ball in the other team's goal. As they navigate the arena, players fire GauntJets — their mech's rocket-powered fists that introduce verticality (and every other direction) into the game — to smash into the ball. By using motion control to guide their GauntJets through the air, players get a better angle on the ball or react quickly if the opposing team takes control first. To maintain the game's incredible pace, Resolution Games has implemented a “dash system” that allows mechs to move through the arena with unparalleled precision, giving pilots the ability to focus on rocket fist finesse without ever losing track of the ball.
“VR gamers got their first taste of Ultimechs in our Pre-Season Preview weekend at the end of August, and the reaction was overwhelming,” said Paul Brady, president and co-founder of Resolution Games. “We were delighted to see players not only take to the game so quickly, but play match after match until the preview ended. With today's launch, we're excited to welcome sports fans from around the world into the action. Good luck out there, Ultimechs pilots!”
Ultimechs' players can look forward to:
- Precision Punching: Throw a haymaker to control your GauntJet through the air and connect with the ball at just the right angle, knock it past your opponent, pass to a teammate, or score the winning goal
- Dashing Speed: Ultimechs is a game of fast movements and precise striking. In order to stay on top of the ball and ahead of your competitors, the arena is equipped with dash pads to allow for maximum maneuverability
- Explosive Power: Choose between three different mech classes (with more to come!) to focus on speed, agility or strength, and take advantage of their unique abilities to throw supersonic punches or explode your GauntJet in mid-air to demolish the competition
- Many Modes: Whether you want to go fully online to be matched against other players in 1v1 or 2v2 play, party up with a friend for private matches, play solo against bots, partner up with a teammate, or just hone your skills offline (Free Practice), Ultimechs allows for several strategic modes
- Clean Comms: Pilots are in full control of who they communicate with thanks to Ultimechs' party-only approach to voice chat that keeps conversations where they're safest: between friends
Players looking to customize their mechs will be able to adjust paint schemes and don a variety of accessories, with more cosmetics available as unlockables in Ultimechs' seasonal 50-level UltiPass. Available in both free and premium tiers, players can rank up in the UltiPass to secure a huge variety of customization options through regular play, or can advance through the ranks even faster by spending UltiCoins. Season One of the UltiPass is available in-game starting today.
About Resolution Games:
As the world's most prominent VR/AR games studio, Resolution Games is redefining how people come together and play. The studio is evolving the craft of multiplayer game development and publishing with its approach to delivering new IP across VR/AR platforms and beyond. With the largest portfolio of games across all major VR and AR platforms, no other studio has the reach, ratings and range that Resolution Games does.
The studio's titles rank among the top-rated and most downloaded games in the space. Games like Demeo, Ultimechs, Blaston, Bait!, Acron: Attack of the Squirrels! and Cook-Out: A Sandwich Tale illustrate the innovative and immersive ways the studio is constantly pushing the boundaries of what is possible.
Founded in 2015, Resolution Games is privately held and based in Stockholm, Sweden. Follow the company at www.resolutiongames.com and on Twitter and Instagram.
— WebWireID294274 —